This page is printer friendly
The main ambition of Parafed Auckland is to provide sporting and recreational opportunities for people with physical disabilities. There is an increasing number of people within Auckland’s greater region who have physical disabilities and we aim to encourage them to maintain an active lifestyle.
Aside from the obvious physical and health benefits, which are many, sport contributes towards the development of social skills and psychological well–being. Regular involvement in sporting activities increases people’s overall quality of life.
“To provide opportunities and encourage all people with physical disabilities to participate in life to the fullest, though sports and recreation”
Parafed Auckland can offer you:
- Recognition of your abilities, NOT your disabilities
- A variety of training and competition
- Information on events throughout New Zealand
- Resources – access to funding, equipment and specialised coaching
- Direction and encouragement on sporting pathways and opportunities
- Networking with other athletes and their families
- Scholarships for junior members
We provide a number of sporting opportunities for Parafed members:
- Adaptive Rowing (Sculling)
- Disabled Snowsports
- Lawn Bowls
- Powerchair Sports
- Table Tennis
- Track & Field (Athletics)
- Wheelchair Basketball
- Wheelchair Rugby
- Wheelchair Tennis
Opportunities also exist for people interested in Diving, Boxing and Gliding.
Who can become a member?
Paraplegics, Tetraplegics and Amputees, people with Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, Multiple Sclerosis and Spina Bifida, etc.
Able bodied persons are also welcome – i.e. supporters and volunteers.